Here's The Dish!

Welcome to my website! I aim to provide my followers and fellow college students with some yummy, healthy, low budget recipes. I will also list ways to save money but also slim your waist!
No one wants to add the infamous college 10, 20 pounds!

Lets start cooking and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at evelynscollegecooking@gmail.com.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Black Bean & Avocado Quinoa Wraps

"These are a few of my favoritee things" :)
These wraps are perfect as a fresh appetizer or a delicious lunch. My favorite thing about these, is that they are packed with all of my favorite, healthy ingredients. I made these for a budget savvy date night appetizer for my boyfriend. Though he is not a "veggie" person, he LOVED them! I figured since we would be ending the night with dark chocolate fondue I should make the appetizer and main course healthy.

So as usual, these wraps are extremely healthy, easy to make, and budget savvy. A perk to these wraps is that I use quinoa instead of brown or white rice. In fact, I recommend adding more Quinoa into your diet instead of white rice and brown rice. The reason being is that quinoa has a higher protein content, low sodium, and is gluten free. Quinoa is also low in fat and calories. It is high in fiber and other nutrients such as magnesium and iron. Be careful though, quinoa is still a carbohydrate but a better source of carbs than rice, potatoes, bread ect. Many vegetarians incorporate quinoa in their diet due to the high protein content. Click here to view nutrient data base on quinoa.

I also use Pace Salsa not only does Pace taste GREAT it is GREAT for you. Low calories, fat, carbs, and better yet, it is also gluten free. A big shout out to Pace for making one great-affordably-delicious product! If you scroll down you will see a few (of the many) Pace Salsa jars that we have used. You just can't have enough Pace! :)


We obviously love Pace Salsa: Gluten Free!
All mixed up :)
Mmm proof that healthy can be delicious. If my boyfriend will eat 'em its gotta be good. Picky eaters...!


Ingredients:

1 Cup Chopped Vidolia Onion
1 Diced Orange Bell Pepper
1/2 Can Organic Black Beans
1 Diced Avocado
1 Cup Salsa
1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce

To do:

1) Cook quinoa according to the box or bag. I use TruRoots Organic Quinoa.
2) While your quinoa is cooking prepare your onions, avocado and bell pepper.
3) In a large mixing bowl mix everything together.
4) Wash your iceberg lettuce and then rip off piece, place the mixture into the lettuce and chow down!

Yummy! Healthy! Easy-peasy!



No comments:

Post a Comment