Here's The Dish!

Welcome to my website! I aim to provide my followers and fellow college students with some yummy, healthy, low budget recipes. I will also list ways to save money but also slim your waist!
No one wants to add the infamous college 10, 20 pounds!

Lets start cooking and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at evelynscollegecooking@gmail.com.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Grandma's Banana Cake



This banana cake reminds me of summer up in northern Michigan with my family. Rather a summer long family reunion. This reunion would not be complete without Grandma's Banana Cake, sitting on the porch, and watching the beautiful Bay View Michigan sunsets. My Grandma gave me this recipe three summers ago and I have made it every summer since. It is so easy to make and I bring it to cookouts and gatherings ALL THE TIME. My boyfriend loves it and likes to help bake. So it is fun to make and something that your kids or significant other can cook together. I have been making this cake for years, and while it may not be the "healthiest" choice it is extremely economical and better yet, delicious. I promise this will be a HUGE hit at the next gathering or for a treat for your family.

Cake Ingredients: Add Almond Extract. You won't be disappointed. 


Cake Ingredients:

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Cup Water
2 Eggs
1 Cup Mashed Bananas** (I use about two-three)
2 Tablespoons Oil (Grape Seed oil works or you can sub in applesauce)**
1 Tablespoon almond extract (optional-- but SO good. My little addition.)

To do:

Preheat oven to 350. Mix your bananas first. I like to use a hand blender and really blend the bananas so there are not any chunks. Then mix in water, eggs, oil. Mix until creamy and then add in the cake mix and baking soda. Place in a greased 9x13 inch pan and place in oven for about 35-40 minutes.

Scroll down for the Cream Cheese Frosting recipe!

Blend your bananas so they are chunk free!
Add in the rest of the wet and then the dry ingredients. 
Pour in 9x13 greased pan. Cook on 350 for 35-40 minutes.
Let cool in the freezer before you put the frosting on!


Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:

1 8oz Cream Cheese (I use the low fat kind)
1/4 Stick Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla or Almond Extract
1 Box Powder Sugar (taste as you go!)

Mix all ingredients together. And spread on a cooled cake. I place my cake in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes before I add the frosting. 

Cream Cheese Frosting!
So YUMMY!
Variations:

Instead of oil: you can add in unsweetened applesauce (about 1/4 cup).
Instead of regular cream cheese: use low fat or non fat.
Bananas: you can use your old bananas! Don't be wasteful :)

You know that expression, "if its not broke, don't fix it?" It totally applies to this recipe, sure I try and make healthy alterations all the time but a good thing in moderation WON'T kill you! So enjoy yourself and this moist, delicious banana cake. We even have it for breakfast sometimes... Guilty.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

The Bay View Sunset's I was talking about <3 Gorgeous.
Big smiles-- enjoy the cake as much as we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment