Here's The Dish!

Welcome to my website! I aim to provide my followers and fellow college students with some yummy, healthy, low budget recipes. I will also list ways to save money but also slim your waist!
No one wants to add the infamous college 10, 20 pounds!

Lets start cooking and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at evelynscollegecooking@gmail.com.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Skinny Steel-Cut's: Overnight Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal





I made this Skinny Girl Steel Cut Oats, this past Sunday night and I must say, it made me excited for Monday morning! I have all 8am classes this semester. I know, what was I thinking... But with a healthy, filling, delicious morning meal like this it makes going to class a breeze. I bought steel cut oats because they are less processed and packed with protein that helps you stay full longer. This being my first time trying steel cut oats, I was a little nervous! Cooking to me is like an experiment and I hoped this little experiment would have a good turn out. And it did! This recipe is easy, healthy, and delicious! A bonus is that you can make your skinny girl steel cuts your own, and this recipe makes more than enough so you can freeze & reheat for a quick meal when you run out the door!


What you need:

1C Steel Cut Oats I use Bob's Red Mill
11/2C Water
1C Unsweetened Almond Milk
2TBS Brown Sugar
2TBS Fleischmann's Original Butter
1/4 Vanilla
1 Apple Peeled, Cored, and Diced
Ground Cinnamon (Sprinkled On Top Optional)
Stevia (Optional)

Serving Size: 4. Calories: 230 Per Serving

Place all of these ingredients in a slow cooker on low, except for the ground cinnamon. Once all of your ingredients are in sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top. Let it cook for 7 hours. I added Stevia the next morning to sweeten it up! And a banana. (I have a sweet tooth!)

Variations:
Organic Stevia is a great way to sweeten things up without the calories. Or try these variations:

Maple Syrup
Cinnamon Sugar
Add almonds, or any type of nuts
Add extra fruit on top
Mix in some cocoa powder for a chocolate-y taste!
Peanut Butter- High in fat but a way to add extra protein (try an organic, reduced sugar/ fat kind)


No comments:

Post a Comment