Here's The Dish!

Welcome to my website! I aim to provide my followers and fellow college students with some yummy, healthy, low budget recipes. I will also list ways to save money but also slim your waist!
No one wants to add the infamous college 10, 20 pounds!

Lets start cooking and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at evelynscollegecooking@gmail.com.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Skinny Girl Southwest Chicken Soup





I have been limiting the carbs in my diet, but I still want to be able to cook the things that I love. So today when I got home from school I decided I would do a simple chicken crock pot meal. Gosh I love my crock pot. BEST THING EVER. If you do not have one, stop reading and go and get one. Now.

This was extremely simple and can be enjoyed and varied multiple ways. I have made something similar before with a packet of Taco Seasoning but I am trying to cut back on the sodium too. So I just used five simple ingredients, for one healthy yet still delicious meal.

And when I got back from the gym my apartment smelled divine!

Ingredients:
4-5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (Tenderloins)**
1C Medium Pace Salsa
1/4-1/2C Chopped Onions
1C Fat Free, Low Sodium Organic Black Beans**
1 - 1/2C Corn

1) Simply place all of the ingredients in your crock pot. Except the corn. Place on high for 5-6 hours. Add the corn the last 20 minutes. Done! Make sure there is not any pink when you cut into your chicken (always check to be safe). I am neurotic about checking. Shred the chicken and enjoy.

Serving Size: 4

Variations:

Add a packet of Taco Seasoning
Add sliced up jalapenos
Add zucchini or bell peppers any type of veggie you like
Shredded Cheese (Low fat-- no fat)
Tortilla Chips
Your Favorite Seasoning
Add pablano peppers

Vegan/ Vegetarian? Add more veggies and leave out the chicken! Black beans are a great source of protein!

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Are inexpensive when you buy them frozen and in bulk. For all of my avid college readers I suggest this than having to buy fresh meat every day or every other day.

Pace Salsa I swear by Pace, because it is Gluten Free. Also inexpensive. It comes in a variety of flavors. Medium is my favorite.

Fat Free Organic Black Beans: Extremely inexpensive, zero fat, and a GREAT source of fiber. So much better for you than refried beans. I totally vow by these, "magic little beans that"... KIDDING. Make you skinny!

No comments:

Post a Comment