Here's The Dish!

Welcome to my website! I aim to provide my followers and fellow college students with some yummy, healthy, low budget recipes. I will also list ways to save money but also slim your waist!
No one wants to add the infamous college 10, 20 pounds!

Lets start cooking and if you have any questions please feel free to email me at evelynscollegecooking@gmail.com.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Skinny Girl Lemon Bars


I love dessert (maybe too much). But I love dessert that is healthier for you even better! I was trying to think of a yummy healthy dessert to make for Easter and Lemon Bars seemed like the perfect fit! Lemon bars are light and refreshing, with just the right balance between sweet and tartness. It was ironic that today, after a yummy lunch filled with spinach salad and great conversations with my grandparents, my grandmother told me about this weight watchers "lemon bar" recipe! Perfect! I instantly knew the recipe I wanted to try. After a trip to my new favorite store the Penzey Spice House, and a quick trip to our local grocery store I had everything I needed to make some delicious skinny-fied Lemon Bars!

Ingredients:

1 1/3C All Purpose Flour (I recommend Whole Wheat Flour)
5 TBSP Light Brown Sugar
8 TBSP Cold Unsalted Butter (I recommend Fleischmann's)
4 Large Eggs (Next time I will try Egg Beaters-- let me know if you do!)
1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
1 1/2C Powder Sugar (divided)
3/4C Lemon Juice (3 Large Lemons)
Some lemon zest

1) Preheat Oven to 350.
2) Crust: Sift together the flour and brown sugar. Add in the butter. The recipe calls for a food processor. I didn't use one. I simply sifted and cut the butter into pieces while sifting the crust mixture. Continue to do this until dough appears lumpy.
3) Place crust mixture into an ungreased 8x13 pan. Cook for 20 minutes or until the crust looks golden.
4) While your crust is cooking, beat eggs, add vanilla, 3/4 cup powder sugar and mix together to make lemon topping. Add in lemon, remaining powder sugar, and lemon zest.
5) Once your crust is done immediately take out of the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 300.
6)Pour the lemon topping over the hot crust. Place back in the oven for 30 minutes.
7) Cut into 24 bars and enjoy with your family and friends! Watch out... I bet you can't eat just one... I couldn't!

Check back soon for my new found love-- Penzey Spices!

No comments:

Post a Comment